Hazlet Alliance Suicide Prevention
As a community organization, the Hazlet Alliance is extremely concerned about the recent deaths of several of our Hazlet residents. The Alliance is currently working with the Hazlet school district to create proactive strategies and resources for our whole community especially including our young, at-risk adults.
Did you know that in the United States:
- Suicide is the leading cause of death for youth ages 10 to 24
- Young adults ages 18 to 25 were more likely than adults ages 26 to 49 to have had serious thoughts of suicide
- One in 11 high school students made a suicide attempt in the past 12 months
- 86% of school psychologists surveyed reported that they had counseled a student who had threatened or attempted suicide
- 62% of school psychologists surveyed reported that they have had a student make a nonfatal suicide attempt at school
- There is a 24 hour suicide prevention lifeline: 800-273-talk (8255) This is a free, confidential hotline that anyone can access and it is always available.
Suicide Warning Signs
- Acting anxious or agitated: behaving recklessly
- Displaying extreme mood swings.
- Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs
- Looking for a way to kill oneself, such as searching online or buying a gun
- Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge
- Sleeping too little or too much
- Talking about being a burden to others
- Talking about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live
- Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain
- Talking about wanting to die or to kill oneself
- Withdrawing or feeling isolated
Suicide Is Preventable
Please help a loved one, a friend, or yourself. Learn the warning signs of suicide and use the suicide prevention resources to learn the way to get someone you care about the professional help they need.
Please urge anyone you know who is in suicidal crisis or emotional distress to call Lifeline - the suicide prevention hotline at 1800-273-TALK (800-273-8255). All calls are routed to the crisis center closest to the caller. (Lifeline receives approximately 2,200 per day)
If you have any questions, please call Barbara Hilliard, Alliance Coordinator at 732-264-1700, ext. 8693