What Is Recyclable


Automotive and rechargeable batteries are accepted.
Non-rechargeable and household batteries are not accepted.

Brush & Leaves

Brush and bagged leaves will be collected curbside 6 times during the calendar year. Please take notice of your collection dates under Recycling Collection Days. As in the past, you will only be allowed to place your brush and/or bagged leaves curbside no earlier than 7 days prior to your scheduled collection date. If you do place it curbside more than 7 days prior to your scheduled collection date, you will be subject to a fine. 

Brush must be no longer than 4 feet in length and 4 inches in diameter. If you have a landscaper or tree surgeon cut down your brush, it is their responsibility to dispose of these items. The Township will not collect these items from your residence. Leaves must be in brown paper biodegradable bags. 

You may obtain these bags, (no more than 50 per resident) from the Recycling Yard when available. You may also purchase similar or additional bags at many of your local home and garden centers in the area. You may also bring your brush and leaves to the Recycling Yard at any time during regular operating hours.

Computers / Electronics / TVs

Monmouth County residents may drop off electronics, computers and TVs at the Monmouth County Reclamation Center at 6000 Asbury Ave., Tinton Falls.

Corrugated Cardboard

Corrugated cardboard is a, two dimensional piece of brown paper with a center core of wrinkles or folds that form alternating ridges and grooves. These boxes are to be broken down and tied into bundles weighing no more than 40 pounds. Cardboard must be free of all debris and contents. Brown bags may now be tied with your cardboard.

Hard Cover Books

The paper inside hardcover books must be recycled. Remove the covers from the book, place the paper with your junk mail and mixed papers, place the covers in with your regular garbage.

Junk Mail & Mixed Papers

These materials include:

  • Advertising mail
  • Catalogs
  • Colored and white paper
  • Construction paper
  • Envelopes
  • Letterheads
  • Magazines
  • Telephone books
  • Text books (without covers)

All of these materials must be tied with heavy twine or string.
The Recycling Yard is no longer accepting shredded paper. 


Everything that comes with the newspapers can go with the newspapers (excluding plastic and brown paper covers). Newspapers must be tied in bundles no thicker than 12 inches and must be tied with heavy twine or string.

What Can Be Commingled & Placed into the Container

The following items may be placed in the same container and paced curbside for collection:

  • Aluminum as in soda and beer cans
  • Bimetal as in cat/dog food cans, soup cans, vegetable cans (this is a partial list)
  • Glass bottles and jars: consists of three colors: green, brown and clear
  • Plastic containers: as in soda, milk, water, and laundry detergent bottles. These plastics are marked with a "1" or "2" inside a triangle

Note: Commingle is not accepted in plastic bags

You may drop off your automotive or rechargeable batteries at the Recycling Yard at 39 Leocadia Court during operating hours (Please see recycling info page for hours). You may also place them curbside during the scheduled white metal collection.

Used Motor Oil & Antifreeze

Used motor oil, antifreeze or used oil filters are no longer accepted by the Recycling Yard in Hazlet. Those items can be taken to a full service station or the Monmouth County Household Hazardous Waste Facility at 3211 Shafto Road, Tinton Falls. Also, please refer to "Hazardous Materials" below.

White Metal

White metal consists of all large metal items such as appliances, air conditioners, and any other items made out of metal. Any items containing Freon, such as air conditioners, refrigerators, and freezers require a $25 check made payable to Hazlet Township. These items are collected 4 times a year (see the recycling schedule for information) or they can be brought to the Recycling Yard in Hazlet during regular operating hours.

Hazardous Materials

The following items are considered hazardous waste and can be brought to the Monmouth County Household Hazardous Waste Facility. The Monmouth County Household Hazardous Waste Facility, Building H - One mile from the intersection of Shafto Road and Asbury Avenue, phone number 732-922-2234, is located at 3211 Shafto Road, Tinton Falls, NJ 07753.

  • Motor oil
  • Antifreeze
  • Gasoline
  • Herbicides
  • Paints
  • Pesticides
  • Pool chemicals
  • Solvents
  • Thinners
  • Varnishes

The facility is for residents only. Business owners must contact a private hauler. Maximum amount per visit: 

  • 220 pounds dry material
  • 20 gallon liquid (no container larger than 5 gallon)
  • Liquid containers limited to 5 gallon size
  • Solid packages limited to 50 lb weight max. 

Helpful Hint for Latex Paint

For disposing of latex paint: Line a cardboard box with a plastic bag. Pour wet latex paint into the bag and allow to dry. When the paint is dry, take the plastic bag out of the box and place the dried paint and bag into your household trash. The box may then be recycled. The washed out paint container can now be placed in with your commingled recycling.