Affordable New Jersey Communities for Homeowners and Renters (ANCHOR)
This program provides property tax relief to New Jersey residents who owned or rented their principal residence (main home) on October 1, 2019, and met the income limits. ANCHOR replaces the Homestead Benefit program.
The deadline for filing your ANCHOR benefit application has been extended to February 28, 2023. The State will begin paying ANCHOR benefits in the late Spring of 2023. ANCHOR payments will be paid in the form of a direct deposit or check, not as credits to property tax bills. Homeowners who filed a Homestead Benefit application last year may be able to obtain their ID and PIN numbers online. Tenants do not need an ID or PIN number to file.
Visit the State's ANCHOR page for all filing information.
You are considered a homeowner if, on October 1, 2019, you:
- Owned a house,
- Owned a condominium and paid property taxes on your unit;
- Were a resident shareholder of a cooperative housing complex;
- Were a resident of a continuing care retirement community and your continuing care contract requires you to pay the proportionate share of property taxes attributable to your unit.
You do not qualify if your residence was completely exempt from paying property taxes or you made P.I.L.O.T. (Payments-in-Lieu-of-Tax) payments.
You are considered a tenant if, on October 1, 2019, you:
You do not qualify if you lived in tax-exempt, subsidized, or campus housing.
Did you receive your filing information mailers for the 2019 ANCHOR – Affordable New Jersey Communities for Homeowners and Renters – property tax relief program? Mailers were sent out September 23 to residents in Monmouth and Ocean counties.
- General online information: nj.gov/treasury/taxation/anchor
- Homeowners file applications by phone: 1 (877) 658-2972
- Homeowners file applications online: https://www1.state.nj.us/TYTR_Saver/jsp/common/HBWelcome.jsp
- Tenants file online: https://nj.gov/treasury/taxation/anchor/tenant.shtml
- To ask questions: 1 (888) 238-1233
- In-person assistance at Taxation Regional Information Centers. For faster service, we strongly recommend making an appointment: https://nj.gov/treasury/taxation/contact.shtml
Text Telephone Service (TTY/TDD) for hearing-impaired users: 1 (800) 286-6613 or (609) 984-7300.
Taxation email address for ANCHOR: NJ.Anchor@treas.nj.gov.
Taxation email for general tax questions: email@example.com.