Monmouth County Clerk Christine Giordano Hanlon is advising Monmouth County residents that multiple deadlines for the General Election have changed in accordance with recently passed legislation, A5175.
The updated dates for the new statutory deadlines are as follows:
- August 11 - Deadline to submit non-binding County & Municipal Public Questions to the County Clerk to be printed on the ballot. (N.J.S.A. 19:37-1)
- August 18 - Deadline for Independent Candidates for office to decline nomination for the General Election. (N.J.S.A. 19:13-16)
- August 18 - Deadline for withdrawal of School Board & Fire District candidates. (N.J.S.A. 19:60-7)
- August 24 - Deadline for new Nomination Petition to fill a vacancy for Independent Candidates and School & Fire District candidates for the General Election. (N.J.S.A. 19:13-19)
- August 24 - Petition Filing Deadline for Non-Partisan municipal candidates to be voted on in the General Election. (N.J.S.A. 40:45-8)
- August 25 - Deadline for submission to the County Clerk of Municipal non-binding public questions adopted by the municipal governing body upon filing of qualified petitions by the local electorate. (N.J.S.A. 19:37-1.1)
- August 25 - Deadline to submit public question for November School Board elections to the County Clerk from the Board Secretary. (N.J.S.A. 19:60-4)
- August 28 - Deadline to amend defective petitions for Municipal Non-Partisan candidates for the General Election. (N.J.S.A. 40:45-9)
- August 28 - Deadline for objections to nominating petitions for Municipal Non-Partisan candidates. (N.J.S.A. 19:13-10)
- August 29 - Last day vacancy can occur for Primary Election nominees to the General Election. (N.J.S.A. 19:13-20)
- August 31 - Deadline for filling Primary nominee vacancies for the General Election. (N.J.S.A. 19:13-20)
- September 2- Deadline for determination on petition challenges to municipal non-partisan candidates for the General Election. (N.J.S.A. 19:13-11)
- September 4 - Deadline for preparation of Official General Election Ballot to be printed. (N.J.S.A. 19:14-1)
- November 20 - Deadline for applications to recheck voting machines used in the 2023 General Election. (N.J.S.A. 19:52-6)
- November 22 - Meeting of County Board of Canvassers for the General Election. (N.J.S.A. 19:19-6)
- November 25 - Deadline for recount applications for the 2023 General Election. (N.J.S.A. 19-28:1)
- November 27 - Deadline for County Clerk to certify the General Election results to the Secretary of State. (N.J.S.A. 19:20-6)
“It is important that everyone understands that these critical deadlines have been changed and have gone into effect with the signing of the legislation by Governor Murphy on July 20,” said Clerk Hanlon. “My office and I do not want anyone to be caught off guard and to miss an important date relating to the upcoming November 7 General Election.”
Any questions regarding the General Election can be directed to the Clerk of Elections Office at 732-431-7790 or 300 Halls Mill Road in Freehold.
For more information, please visit our website at MonmouthCountyVotes.com or contact the Clerk of Elections Office at 732-431-7790.