Gov. Phil Murphy declared a state of emergency beginning 7 pm Sunday ahead of a significant winter storm that could result in 7 to 14 inches of sleet and snow in parts of central New Jersey. Winds may gust to as high as 45 mph.
In response, Hazlet Township’s Town Hall, Library, Municipal Court and DPW yard will be closed tomorrow.
“The safest place to be is at home tonight and tomorrow, if at all possible,” said Hazlet Township Mayor Tara Clark. “Beginning this morning, our township DPW crews have been applying de-icing materials. They will be on the roads throughout this snowstorm. Please remove vehicles from streets to allow plows to do their job.”
During snowstorms, residents are invited to park at the township Swim Club parking lot, or any township-owned lot.
- State offices will be closed on Monday, except for essential workers.
- The Hazlet School District announced this evening that all district schools will transition to virtual learning for Monday. An announcement will be made Monday afternoon about Tuesday classes.
- Travel is expected to be difficult, if not impossible. NJDOT has issued a commercial vehicle travel restriction on multiple Interstate highways.
- Curbside recycling pickup in Hazlet is canceled for Tuesday’s scheduled zone, with no makeup date. The township recycling yard will be closed Monday and Tuesday. If you need to reach DPW, please use the contact form on the township website. They do not monitor social media.
- COVID-19 Vaccine appointments scheduled by Monmouth County and the VNACJ for Monday, Feb. 1 have been canceled.
- NJ Transit rail and bus lines will be temporarily suspended systemwide or the entire service day, except for Atlantic City Rail Line.
- If you experience a power outage, it is important to report it directly to JCP&L. You can also call 888-544-4877 or text STAT to 544487 for an update on your specific outage.
Monitor the township social media accounts for updates:
Hazlet Township Police on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HazletPolice
Hazlet Township Public Information Office on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TownshipofHazlet ; Twitter: @TwpofHazlet
Hazlet Township Office of Emergency Management on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HazletOEM